3D Plant Design Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS), an MIT spinout pursuing the fastest, surest way to clean, limitless fusion energy, is looking for an engineer with experience doing the design and integration of systems within a complex, multi-disciplinary facility.
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who:
- are mission-driven and treat people well;
- improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems;
- have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and
- have skillsets and experience that relate to the following role:
3D Plant Design Engineer
The SPARC tokamak facility will be comprised of a set of complex, highly-integrated systems, including high-power superconducting magnets and RF systems, a large cryoplant, a gas and pumping system, and a variety of diagnostic and control systems. The CFS 3D Plant Design Engineer will report to the head of 3D Design Integration and will be responsible for the following:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center;
- lead the plant design and integration of the support systems for the SPARC tokamak;
- ensure the design is compatible with the Code of Record and established system requirements;
- maintain the complete 3D plant model; and
- attend and participate in meetings where design progress is discussed, iterated, and updated.
The ideal candidate will have:
- designed and maintained the 3D plant models of a variety of complex, integrated systems;
- at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., chemical, mechanical, systems);
- knowledge of basic physical processes involved in the plant systems (e.g., high and low power, I&C, cryogenics, vacuum, gas processing, etc.);
- experience with modern 3D plant layout tools;
- an exceptional safety record and attention to detail;
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas;
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity;
- a drive towards commercially viable solutions;
- a history of thriving in fast-paced, dynamic environments; and
- values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique.
If you share our mission and believe you are a good fit for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “3D Plant Design Engineer” in the subject line.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice.