Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS), an MIT spinout pursuing the fastest, surest way to clean, limitless fusion energy, is looking for an early-career engineer with experience in designing and fielding electro-mechanical systems.
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. We are developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable our prototype SPARC project to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who:
- are mission-driven and treat people well;
- improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems;
- have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and
- have skillsets and experience that relate to the following role:
The SPARC tokamak, with ~50 MW of source RF power at ~120 MHz, will have the highest power RF system of any fusion experiment to date. To deliver the power to the plasma, this system will require a complex antenna structure inside the vacuum vessel that must withstand large electromagnetic and thermal loading. Reliable operation of this RF system will be crucial to meeting the SPARC mission.
The Electro-Mechanical Engineer will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top MIT physicists and engineers as part of sponsored research projects in collaboration with the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center (PSFC);
- collaborate with plasma RF physicists on designing the RF transmission and antenna systems; and
- develop detailed 3D models of the RF systems and validate them using simulations.
The ideal candidate will have:
- at least a master’s degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., mechanical, electrical);
- completed a hands-on team project on the design, construction, and demonstration of an electro-mechanical system;
- expertise in the design of complex, integrated systems;
- demonstrated skill in modern computational design and engineering tools;
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas;
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity;
- a drive towards commercially viable solutions;
- a history of thriving in fast-paced, dynamic environment; and
- values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique.
If you share our mission and believe you are a good fit for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Electro-Mechanical Engineer” in the subject line.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice.